6/15/2008

Earthquake!


On Saturday morning at 8:45am we had a really big earthquake. It was a 7.2 quake with the epicenter 60 miles north of us. As most of you know Japan is home to a large percentage of the worlds earthquakes and so when the quake started to shake I didn't think anything of it. I got in the nearest doorway because I thought it would be over in a second. I was wrong.
The shaking got stronger and lasted about a minute. I got really scared as it went on. I was trying to hold on to things so they wouldn't fall over. Thankfully Lane was outside with the girls on their morning walk. While lots of stuff fell from our shelves and dishes got broken, none of us got hurt. In total this quake killed only 6 people. I say only because the 7.9 earthquake in China about a month ago killed 60,000 people. Japan is just really fortunate to be prepared for earthquakes. We have had many aftershocks since yesterday morning, but I just hope that I am more prepared this time.
The picture at top is one the roads that the earthquake demolished.

No comments: