7/25/2008

Back in America!

Wow, I am just going to say it, I am so tired. We just arrived in Mainland America two days ago and this is the first computer time I have had since the 10th of July. We moved out of our apartment on the 10th and headed to Tokyo the next morning. We spent four days in Tokyo before catching our red eye flight to Honolulu. Lets just say, Tuesday July 15th was the best day ever. First of all we spent it at Tokyo Disneyland which was so much fun and then when we arrived in Honolulu the next morning it was still Tuesday July 15th. We had two Tuesday. We spent the second Tuesday swimming at the beach in Hawaii. What could get better then that. The second day in Hawaii we boarded another plane and went to the big Island of Hawaii to catch a glimpse of the volcano there. I didn't realize how diverse the big Island is. We started calling it the Continent. It had every climate you could have. From the rain drenched coast of Hilo, the freezing cold volcano basin to the black sand desert beaches of the south. It was quite the trip. We went swimming at one of the most beautiful beaches on the west side. The water was so warm. After spending four days there we boarded another plane back to Oahu. Since it was July it was so crowed in Honolulu and thankfully Lane's cousin lives there and she took us to the most beautiful beach in Kailua(I hope that is spelled right). Waikiki beach was just too crowed. We had a wonderful relaxing time in Hawaii. Then tuesday the 22nd we left Hawaii to head back to the mainland where we had a over night lay over in Seattle. Our plane got in late, but we were on Hawaii time so we were not too tired. The next morning we had to catch to separate flights to SLC where Lane's flight terminated and Grace and Grandpa Shepard caught a flight to Minnesota. While Sophia and I left later in the morning from Seattle to SLC and had a nice 5 hour lay over. By the time we landed in SLC, my Jet lag finally kicked in. I couldn't keep my eyes open. By the time we boarded our flight in SLC to go to Minnesota, I was ready to sleep and low and behold, I fell asleep. This never happens. For some reason I can't sleep on a plane. Then about an hour into the flight we got drinks and I woke up to get one and I finished right away. We then hit really bad turbulence. So bad I thought we were going to die. The plane jerked really hard and it immediately dropped 200 feet in elevation. It sent every one's drinks and other stuff flying everywhere. People screamed and I got into crash position along with others around us. I was so scared, because when planes crash I don't think that anyone ever survives. The rest of the flight was so shaky and nerve recking. I was just great that this was the last flight of our trip. Sophia who was with me was just fine and didn't realise that it was a pretty scary situation. After the flight the pilot told everyone that we were flying through a lighting storm and that the plane which is flown on auto pilot the whole duration of the flight, switched to manual drive and she had to take over. I am just grateful she knew what she was doing. We are now safely in Minnappolis visiting with Lane's older brother's family. We are going up to canada in a few days. So I probably wont post any picture until we get home from Canada. I am happy to be back in America and I can't wait to see all of our family and friends. We will be back in Utah on the 5th of August. I am sorry if something in this blog doesn't make sence, My jet lag is really bad right now.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Welcome back!

Dale and Ruth said...

Katie & Lane,
Sounds like your adventures weren't over when you left Japan. Glad the plane arrived safely in Minnesota. Have a great time. We'll look forward to seeing more pictures when you get home.
You've missed 4 earthquakes here this week. Two were pretty big and two were tiny. Guess you knew when to leave.

Unknown said...

happy to hear you are safe!
welcome back!

Lance and Becky said...

I'm tired just reading your post! Man, what an adventure! We're glad to have you back. Let me know when you are over your jet lag...we have to have a welcome home BBQ for you...I'll host :)

Kari Ann said...

Welcome home!! You will have to give us a call when you get all situated.