So we were had this year. Some one played a good prank on us and we fell for it. Yesterday--I will have you know--was April 2nd in Japan, but in America it was April 1st. Since April Fool's day is not celebrated in Japan we didn't even really remember the day. I did, but I thought how do you prank people who know about the day who are 2,000 miles away. Well these people managed to get us and really toy with out emotions. So yesterday I got this email and I could not believe it:
Hi guys, I'm not sure where to start. I don't know if any of you saw the news last week from Minneapolis, the man who had the wrong kidney taken out... well, I was involved. I guess thats the wrong way to put it. I was the one who did it. Its kind of a long story, but basically the surgeon at one of the hospitals I work at got in a car accident, and this guy came in that needed his kidney removed right away because the cancer had burst through the capsule and was starting to spread to the body. It was something that just couldn't wait. I'm certified in surgery, but you all know that its not my specialty, but the hospital administrators said I had to do it because I was the overnight person. Anyway, the short of it is that I had never met the guy, and when I went in he was all prepped and ready to go with his right side open. I took the kidney out (despite it looking really normal to me), and closed him up. A couple of hours later I was called back down to recovery because his family had finally been let in to see him and had noticed the bandages on the wrong side. I had taken out his good kidney and left the bad one in, and it was too late to recover as I had sent it to be cut up for analysis.
Heres where the problem really begins. As I mentioned, this is not my specialty, and the hospital could go down in a big way for this, so they are blaming it all on me. The nurses and techs who prepared him for surgery don't want to be sued, so they all joined in to point the finger at me. The family is bringing criminal charges against me because its not my specialty, so they are saying I should have never agreed to do it. I got a lawyer, but he thinks we are going to lose, and I may even be looking at jail time.
Here's where you all come in. Zen and I have a little saved, but I wanted to know if Mave and Merra and Stan and Zara have anything you could lend me so I can get out of the country for a while, just until this cools down. Lane and Katie, may I stay at your place? I was thinking Thailand would be a good place to end up, but it would give me time to figure things out. Please let me know ASAP, as they may want to take me into custody at the pretrial. Zen will attempt a quick sale on the house (so they don't take it), then bring the kids to join me, so we could pay you back then. Talk it over, look at your accounts, then let me know ( and please hurry).
Also, please don't let mom and dad know...I'll break it to them when I get things a little more figured out. I just keep hoping everything will settle down. I appreciate your help, and will talk to each of you soon. Love, Charlie
*names have been changed
I instantly found the story on Google news and there the story was. I IM Lane and he sneaks out of work and sprinted home as fast as he could. We frantically found their phone number but they didn't answer right away. We were opening up our online bank to liquidate our CDs so we could be ready to do what ever they needed us to do. Finally we got a hold of them they said, "April Fools." Haha. Not funny at all.
This whole joke put this sort of real situation into perspective. What is going to happen to the real doctor who this happened to? Now, I actually feel very sorry for doctors that this does happen to.
So these people asked us not to get them back (and we won't), but we are posting this blog to show what jerks they are for toying with our emotions. We do love them and we are grateful this was just a joke.
3 comments:
That is so funny! Zerra & I were not fooled at all because it was April Fools day for us, but we acted like we were tricked to play a joke on Charlie and Zen, then I called Dad and told him which was a second trick, then Dad said that he was going to call Charlie and pretend that he was concerned (trick number 3). Your story is classic! I'm sorry that it interrupted your day and all, but you have to admit that this is a great story.
They actually did have me going for awhile, and I googled the story and saw it had actually happened. Then I remembered it was April Fools. Zen wrote a reply to our email response. It was probably after she talked to you. It said "We feel awful, we are not going to make jokes like that ever again. I am hoping you didn't really fall for it---- all that talk about the the phone's being traceable was just you making a joke ,too. If you really believed chuck cut out someone's kidney, we feel really bad for making you feel that terror-- we are so sorry, please accept our humblest apologies!
Zen
Props, that's a good one for sure! Doesn't take too much to get me, that was a for sure well thought out april fool's joke!
Post a Comment